Saturday, November 3, 2012

Flashback #22: Share Your Light!

From November 15, 2011. It's a good thing I read this today. I think I have some repenting to do...

 I had an experience on Saturday that was a small defining point in my mission, and I'm afraid it may continue to be. Yes, I said afraid, and I am, because it is something I am very self-conscious about.

 Saturday we had a baptism!! YAY! We love those! Earlier that morning when Sister de Montigny and I were working out our schedule and calling our AWESOME elders that we share an area with, they asked if either one of us could play piano. For a long time I have dreaded that question. I am the classic example of the kid whose mom kept telling her to practice and she never really did so her piano skills are next to useless except in a desperate situation.

Apparently it was a desperate situation.

We had no one to play the hymns that the lady being baptized had requested. So, I agreed, as long as I could get some practice time in. Luckily I was able to, but I knew that they wouldn't be perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

 I was so nervous to play. I felt awful and embarrassed. For someone who has played the piano for as long as I have, I SHOULD be better at this. I again asked the elders later that day if we had any more options. They tried, but with no success. I. was. stuck.

 So, that night, the baptism was great. The Spirit was there, there was a great turn out of people from the ward and even two people who the missionaries are teaching. It was so nice, and Lisa, the woman being baptized, did something that she will remember and cherish for the rest of her life, and that is to make that ever so important promise to follow her Savior and do the will of Heavenly Father and be baptized. And we somehow managed to make it alive through the hymns. I do admit though, that I was so frustrated with myself that I didn't ever want to own up to the fact that I can kind of play piano or call myself a musician ever again. I was serious!
 Until the next day.

Third hour of church, Relief Society, or women's meeting. The congregation's Relief Society president stands up and says, "Any pianists in the room? Sister missionaries! Thank you!" No, I did not volunteer myself, but apparently piano players are few and far between in this area that I am currently serving in. So, I fumbled through the hymns in Relief Society. Thankfully I did know how to play at least one of them!

What I would come to find later, in my next area, is that there were even fewer piano players than before. I ended up for a little over a month I think playing the piano for the primary children in church. It was a blessing and a challenge. Playing the piano is something that I like to do, but I am being honest when I say that my skills are not where they need to be for me to play well and feel confident and comfortable about it. Primary was great because the songs are much more simple. It was at the same time challenging because I didn't get to attend my regular classes with my new friends that I brought to church, some for the first time.

Then I get transferred to where I am now. For the first three weeks there were two other excellent piano players in the area and the ward has enough people to play. Well... now it's between me and one other elder. Our district leader called me a few weeks ago and asked me if I would play. I am so ashamed of my skills that I told him no. Later, I did regret that decision (actually prompted by reading this old blog post) and decided that I need to repent. Later, yes, I did play the piano for our missionary meetings when asked to. I can't play as well as I'd like, but I still do find joy in the things I can play. I think it's because it's something that God would be happy with- sharing talents no matter how grand or small they might be.

So, my invitation dear friends:
 
Choose a talent that you have, and share it with someone today. 

Love you much! Have an action-packed day!
Love, Sister Franson

No comments:

Post a Comment