Friday, July 6, 2012

Flashback #11: In With The Good!

I'm guessing.... well, to be honest, I don't know how long ago I started this post. I want to say it was when I was in Gallatin, so somewhere between September 5, 2011, and November 9, 2011. Ish.

Today, you're going to hear about one of the hardest struggles that Sister Franson has on her mission. I love my music. I love listening to all kinds of music. And I dance. A LOT. But it's only when people aren't looking. I've learned to be sure of that. But, as a missionary, our rules on music are restricted. It does vary from mission to mission, but ours... we can only listen to music by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Granted, we can listen to anything as long as it's by them, but I can't even listen to my basic hymns downloaded from lds.org. But, as my last companion reminded me, this is an opportunity for me to receive blessings from being obedient and also to help me stay focused on the work! It is helping to make my mission special to me.

Uhy. I confess that it was especially hard for me today to not listen to secular music. I ended up singing to myself today. It happens. I constantly have a song in my head. If you don't believe me, those of you who I see from time to time, just ask me and I will tell you what it is. It's probably a good thing that I came across this old post to remind me that there is a reason why I am making this small sacrifice.

One thing I do know is that music truly does influence the Spirit of the Lord. As a friend of mine once said so perfectly, if we put garbage into our thoughts, garbage is going to come out! And it's true, not just of music, but any kind of media, any kind of thought, and anything else you can think of!

So, dear friends, is there something cluttering your life? If there is, feed yourself something healthy. Maybe it is fixing a good meal, or maybe it is having a good dose of scripture and prayer. Be sure to fill your soul with something good today :)

Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me. -Alma 32:28

Have an action-packed day!
Love, Sister Franson


1 comment: