Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day One and a Half

Hello Nashville Tennesee!! I am so excited to be part of a blogging mission to share with the rest of the world what missionary work and the LDS church are like. I flew into Nashville about nine days ago and it has been AWESOME!!
  Right after arriving in the airport and meeting the mission president, his wife, and his missionary assistants, he announces that we are going to do something that has never been done before. I was thinking that President H. was going to challenge us to do some real proselyting right then and there! As a greeny (brand-new field missionary), and a shy one at that, I was scared out of my mind. I couldn't believe what he said next: we were going to sing the national anthem at a minor league baseball game for the Nashville Sounds! All ten of us missionaries were so excited, especially Elder Payne- he LOVES baseball and even played a year of college ball in Arizona before coming on a mission. This was such a unique experience because normally missionaries are not allowed to attend sporting events.
  I was one of two missionaries assigned to ride with President and his wife to the field where we met the other missionaries serving in Nashville who chose to come. Before long, we were walking onto the field and away we sang. We were even allowed to stay for about an hour and a half later to watch the game. Apparently David Archuletta was there too and he talked to some of the missionaries. It's kind of surreal thinking that we performed for him. When it was time for us to go, we loaded into the cars and went to the mission home in Brentwood. There we had some small introductions and a testimony meeting before getting settled in for bed.
 The next day I woke up ready to rock! I was still a little shocked with all that was happening- flying on planes all day, going to a baseball game, being in Tennessee for the first time- but it didn't take too long before the day was rolling. The assistants to the mission president and Sister H. made us breakfast with the specialty being animal shaped pancakes! We had everything from an octopus and a girraff to a slug. I think the slug was supposed to be something else but didn't quite turn out right...
  Orientation and companionship assignments came next! Off to the stake center church building we go. There, Sister Valentine and I were assigned companions to teach in the Nashville Zone, Old Hickory Ward. Apparently it's a very nice part of town, and so far I have loved it! All of the ward members are so willing to help in any way. The area is absolutely beautiful; I think Tennessee is the closest thing I have ever seen to a jungle. I'm from Idaho... enough said.
  Sister V. and I have been so busy- we are the first sister missionaries in the area for about five years, so we have our work cut out for us. We have met with most if not all of the people the elders were teaching and we are learning the area fast. We have been lost several times, but the members, other elders, and the gps have been great help.
   I can see already tender mercies and miracles that the Lord places in the lives of missionaries. I have seen people have a strong desire to change their lives and learn more about Jesus Christ and draw closer to Heavenly Father. I feel so humbled to know that He has chosen me to be part of this great work. Keep moving forward.
  -Sister Franson

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. Whitewashing is not my favorite thing to do. But think of how much we've learned about missionary work and how important ward involvement is!

    ReplyDelete