Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Flashback #8: Reflection

I came across this, written in my first transfer, probably somewhere near the end of June:

A week ago, I made a post about the zone-wide week of sacrifice. One of the hardest things for me to give up were the first letters that I received in the mission field from home. I saw who the letters were from- two from family, and one from a dear friend of mine. It's funny that for some reason when I think about home, apart from my family there are those few individuals who continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. This friend had been one of those individuals.
  When I was finally able to open the letters I had received over the past week (making a grand total of three), I was excited to hear good news from my family and receive a letter from my eight year old brother whose letter consisted of a picture he drew and one sentence saying, "You are having much so fun far far away." It made me smile because I know how hard he worked on that. I also read the letter from my friend. I was hoping to hear some good news from her and her husband who are working through the wonderful years of early marriage. I look at them and I hope that I can have the same kind of relationship they have between each other and the Lord. They haven't had the greatest of things or situations that I have seen in some other couples I know, but they know where their priorities are and they do the best they can to follow the commandments of the Lord. Just as He gives each of us different talents and spiritual abilities, He gives us trials and blessings that are catered just for us.
  Reading through my letter, my heart felt weighted. As a missionary we are instructed to concern ourselves with the work of the Lord and not the concerns of home. This didn't keep me from wishing that I could be there to help my friend. She told me about another trial in her life that worried her. She has been doing everything to the best that she can, and still trials have been placed in her life that she doesn't understand.
  It was at this moment that my thoughts turned to the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the Plan of Salvation, knowing that Heavenly Father not only has provided a way for each of us to return to be with Him, but that each and every living child of God has a plan. I could think of few people if any that could handle the kinds of things that she has and still press forward with a firm faith in Christ.

Well, dear friends, here is what the Spirit taught me today: It is so easy to become complacent with what is given to us. Every day I pray that the Spirit will be with me when I study, when I walk out the door, when I meet and teach new people, when I am talking with my companion, and sometimes... I feel like I can't find it. I pray that I will be able to recognize it when it comes.Well, sometimes I don't recognize it even until it passes. When I read this now, I see that I was feeling the Spirit in me testify of gospel principles to share with my friend. I remember this week, almost a year ago now, that I was trying to adjust to missionary life, trying to do everything just right, and I felt like I wasn't doing enough. Reading and reflecting on this, I know that I was, and I still probably am. Progress leads to perfection, but perfection cannot be obtained without the Savior Jesus Christ. And it will probably take more than sacrificing mission mail for a week. From whatever we sacrifice, however, the reward will be much greater than what we gave up.

And you all know that :)

So dear friends, I hope you have an action-packed day!
-Sister Franson

No comments:

Post a Comment