Thursday, September 27, 2012

Flashback #17: A Blurb With Perspective

From Gallatin, again, last year. If I remember this correctly, it was at the end of October, possibly the beginning of November.  

I GOT A PACKAGE TODAY!! Yes indeedy, I got a package. 

This week... has been one of the most challenging weeks of my entire mission up to this point. I've had some really tough moments before, but this week it has been spread out gradually day after day. People just aren't home for some reason. We had one of the ward members who was so sweet to drive us around for two nights in a row, and we visited house after house, knocked on door after door, and Sister Anderson and I are to the point where we are trying to find people who have been taught over a year ago to try again just so we can have someone to teach. Want to know how many lessons we have taught this week so far to a non-member? One. And the member that we brought with us got along so well with that non member that they did most of the talking to each other. And that is GREAT! We love it when members come out with us! But this week that has been it. The only people who have let us into their homes this week besides that are members, active and less active. People have cancelled and not shown up to appointments. Yesterday we couldn't get a ride to meet one of our appointments, so we had two choices: walk or ride our bikes. We figured it would take us an hour to walk so we decided to ride our bikes. Up and down hill after hill we went, fixing broken chains and waiting at stop lights along the way until we finally got to the church where we were meeting our appointment. Annndd.... no one was there. We rested for a little while, tried to call, and then headed right back.
   Today has been pretty much the same. We walked to a christian thrift store that we volunteer at every week putting clothes away, hanging them on hangers, organizing, and whatever else they need us to do. It's something that I sincerely look forward to every week because I know that they can use the help. After that

I actually remember this experience all on its own without the blog's reminder. I remember it fairly vividly, actually. The day that Sister Anderson and I rode our bikes, we were late getting back to the apartment to have Sister V. from the ward pick us up from dinner, and we rode right through a cloud of gnats and I remember spitting and sputtering and finding bugs in my mouth. Sounds great, doesn't it? And even though plans were falling through and Sister A. and I were having a few bad days, we bonded closer together, and we even took a time out and treated ourselves to white chocolate bread pudding at La Riviere's, which I've been informed has sadly closed since then.

 I started this post saying that I got a package! I mean, who doesn't love getting packages from home with goodies and treats from Mom? I think that all too often we are so quick to count our crisis and not our blessings. I admit, it is hard to for me sometimes! Then I try it. I don't ignore or discount the negative, but I learn how to combat it with the positive! Doesn't the Lord always come through in the end anyway? I was once given a piece of perspective early on in my mission:


And it's all made possible by the Atonement of Jesus Christ

I could go on and on about this topic. If you want more, read this. It's quite possibly my most favorite conference talk ever given. Plus I was sitting in the audience when it was delivered. It's powerful.

Have an action-packed, blessed day!
Love, Sister Franson



 

No comments:

Post a Comment