Friday, September 16, 2011

Where do you stand?

Gotta be honest. I love the missionary rules. I love every. single. one- all the way from the music we can listen to, to the length of our skirts, to the dinner appointments and time management. Does that mean that I don't struggle to keep them sometimes? Of course not. Sometimes I would really love to listen to the radio. Sometimes I would love to wear pants during the week. Sometimes it's nice to sit and visit with people for an evening who understand the fullness of the gospel. Waking up at 6:30 every morning to exercise isn't always peaches and cream. But do you know what? I love it when I obey the rules



Why do I love it so much? Because I can feel the Lord's love. It's one of the blessings He gives to us. I can mark a gold star for the day. I did something hard, and I did it well! Doesn't it feel good to do something right? Doesn't it feel good to know that you are better today than you were yesterday, even if today means you obeyed all the rules TWO TIMES IN A ROW!!!??? (I promise that I've been obedient to the rules for longer than two days...)


So... here's the gospel connection for the day, and I hope you think about it. There is an excellent talk written by President Boyd K. Packer talking about Lehi's dream. It talks about where people stand in the world in respect to accepting the gospel, but it also talks about the importance of the dream to everyone. There are so many applications we can take away from that dream.  There are those who accept the fruit (The gospel, or obeying rules/commandments), embrace it, and want to share it with their families. There are those who accept the fruit, and then turn away ashamed that they do so. There are those along the iron rod with one hand on the rod but looking back and reaching with their other hand to see what else there is. And of course there are those in the great and spacious building laughing and mocking at those who are eating the fruit. 

There definitely are those who don't understand why we have all the rules we have as missionaries. we as missionaries have been known to make full, drawn-out conversations as to why some rules are in place, but does it really matter? Or does the principle of simple obedience matter?



... So... Where do you stand when it comes to obeying the rules?


Have an action-packed day!
Sister Franson

No comments:

Post a Comment