Tuesday, October 18, 2011

You Know Enough

It's been a few days since I have been on my blog! I know I'm not always as consistent as I could be, but I do love to see if my posts have helped to brighten someone's day.

Lately this talk by Elder Neil. L. Andersen has been on my mind. It's entitled You Know Enough. How often do we believe that of ourselves? How often do we feel inadequate and unsure? Sister Anderson and I see it every day. We invite people to make commitments to read the Book of Mormon, to come to church, to be baptized, and almost every. single. time. we get the response, "I'm just not sure yet. I want to know more, but I can't say 'yes' right now. But we do love having you here!" To which on the inside, I think UUUGGG!!! You have felt the Spirit, you KNOW that what we teach you is true, so why not commit? Patience is a virtue I have yet to master...

I have come to the conclusion that the gospel... is like a car. What do I know about cars? Not much. I know basic things like wearing a seatbelt will keep you safe, if you obey traffic laws you are far less likely to be in an accident, turning the key makes the car start, the gas makes it go, the brake makes it slow and stop, and other simple things like that. But ask me about the engine, cylinders, wiring, radiator... I recognize the name but can tell you nothing about it. These parts are essential to making the car actually work, but is it essential for me to know everything about the car? Nope. But I know enough to let it help me in my life.

So... the gospel. I know simple things like I am a child of God. Heavenly Father answers prayers. The Savior lived, taught, and died for us. The Bible and the Book of Mormon are the words of God. We receive blessings when we obey the commandments. Do I know everything about God? Nope. But I know enough to let it bless my life.

This, dear friends, is where faith comes in. Sometimes you just have to trust what you feel to be good even if you don't know it all. The only way we learn is by applying and trying principles in our lives. The Lord promises that "by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of ALL things" (Moroni 10:5).

Sometimes, ya just gotta do it.


"Challenges, difficulties, questions, doubts—these are part of our mortality. But we are not alone. As disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, we have enormous spiritual reservoirs of light and truth available to us. Fear and faith cannot coexist in our hearts at the same time. In our days of difficulty, we choose the road of faith. Jesus said, “Be not afraid, only believe.”




Have an action-packed day!
-Sister Franson

No comments:

Post a Comment