Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Spider and the Fly


Will you walk into my parlour?” said the spider to the fly.
“’Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy,
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to shew when you are there.
“Oh no, no,” said the little Fly, “to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair, can ne'er come down again.”

“I'm sure you must be weary, dear, with soaring up so high
Will you rest upon my little bed?” said the Spider to the Fly.
“There are pretty curtains drawn around; the sheets are fine and thin,
And if you like to rest awhile, I'll snugly tuck you in!”
“Oh no, no,” said the little Fly, “For I've often heard it said
They never, never wake again, who sleep upon your bed!”

Said the cunning Spider to the Fly, “Dear friend what can I do,
To prove the warm affection I've always felt for you?
I have within my pantry, good store of all that's nice
I'm sure you're very welcome, will you please to take a slice?”
“Oh no, no, said the little Fly, “Kind Sir, that cannot be,
I've heard what's in your pantry, and I do not wish to see!”

“Sweet creature!” said the Spider, “You're witty and you're wise,
How handsome are your gauzy wings, how brilliant are your eyes!
I've a little looking-glass upon my parlour shelf,
If you'll step in one moment, dear, you shall behold yourself.”
“I thank you, gentle sir,” she said, “for what you're pleased to say,
And bidding you good morning now, I'll call another day.”

The Spider turned him round about, and went into his den,
For well he knew the silly Fly would soon come back again
So he wove a subtle web, in a little corner sly,
And set his table ready, to dine upon the Fly.
Then he came out to his door again, and merrily did sing,
“Come hither, hither, pretty Fly, with the pearl and silver wing,
Your robes are green and purple, there's a crest upon your head
Your eyes are like the diamond bright, but mine are dull as lead!”

Alas, alas! How very soon this silly little Fly,
 Hearing his wily, flattering words came slowly flitting by
With buzzing wings she hung aloft, then near and nearer drew,
Thinking only of her brilliant eyes, and green and purple hue
Thinking only of her crested head, poor foolish thing! At last,
Up jumped the cunning Spider, and fiercely held her fast.
He dragged her up his winding stair, into his dismal den,
Within his little parlour, but she ne'er came out again!

And now dear little children, who may this story read,
To idle, silly flattering words, I pray you ne'er give heed.
Unto an evil counsellor, close heart and ear and eye,
And take a lesson from this tale, of the Spider and the Fly.

Mary Howitt


    There is so much to learn from this story. The Spider, playing the role of the devil, does all he can to lure the Fly (us) into his nasty web.
    When looking closely, there are many gospel truths and parallels to be learned. First, is that the adversary knows how to entice us. He will mix some truths with lies, rationalizing that the usually poor choice which we are about to make is actually harmless, and convinces us that we are the exception to the rule. Dear friends, gray is just diluted black, and no matter how much white you try to mix in, the black, or sin, will still show through. 
    Second is actually the lesson I remember learning the first time. Do not stay around sin when you know where it is and how to avoid it. The Fly did not run straightaway from the trap, in fact, she was almost polite to the sin. In this case, her lack of changing, avoiding, or even repenting if you will, led to her demise.
    Third, and this is what makes my blood chill, is that the devil knows who we are and the value that we have. The Spider complimented the Fly on all the beautiful qualities she had: the green and purple robes like one of royal inheritance would wear with even the crest to further acknowledge her importance. He describes her eyes like diamonds, which to me can mean the beauty that Heavenly Father gives to us in our bodies that we need to respect, and also the inheritance and entitlement to see clearly what is right and wrong. The Spider mentions his dull eyes, and like the adversary will never see the light of Christ again. 
    Brothers and sisters, we see clearly all of the mistakes that the Fly made. When it comes to temptation and sin, I believe Ms. Howitt said it best: 


"[T]ake a lesson from this tale, of the Spider and the Fly."


Have an action-packed day!
-Sister Franson

No comments:

Post a Comment