Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd, Part 1

When I was growing up, we had some family friends who owned lots and lots of sheep. 


    And almost every year, when those sheep had lambs, my mom and dad would take all of us young ones out to see the lambs. We would let them suck on our fingers an we could pet them and play with them through the fence. If they ever let us take one out of the pen it was very special and we were told we had to be extra careful.

    Since that time in my life, whenever I have heard Christ be called the Master Shepherd or the Good Shepherd, I think of those baby lambs that I saw. They needed care, and they looked for it. So are we as the sheep of the Master. I love the hymn Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir does a beautiful arrangement of this song. "Dear is the love that He gives them," it sings. And it's true. He loves us so much. Our purpose in this life is to know the Savior, and to know when He calls us.


    "Behold, I say unto you, that the good shepherd doth call you; yea, and in his own name he doth call you, which is the name of Christ; and if ye will not hearken unto the voice of the good shepherd, to the name by which ye are called, behold, ye are not the sheep of the good shepherd. 

    "And now, if ye are not the sheep of the good shepherd, 
of what fold are ye?"
Alma 5:38-39

    My dear friends, the Savior is asking us to follow Him. We had many invitations this last weekend at General Conference to do so. Are you heeding to the call? Are you keeping His commandments, every one with all the strength you have? Are you following His voice?

"Behold, he sendeth an invitation unto all men, for the arms of mercy are extended towards them, and he saith: Repent, and I will receive you" (Alma 5:33).


Have an action-packed day!
Sister Franson

No comments:

Post a Comment