Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Flashback #5: Courage Take, For Goodness Sake!

From Last Summer, June 28, 2011 

I love being a missionary. I was told that missions are hard. I feel so blessed that I have had the time of my life looking for and teaching people. There have been many moments when I feel like I don't know what to do or where to turn or that I completely said the wrong thing. My wonderful compadre Sister Valentine through her example has taught me to be courageous and confident. She is so great when it comes to talking with people and striking up a conversation. I have learned so much from her.

I felt like I really could have used a dose of this courage last Sunday. I am one of the missionaries that sings in the Tennessee Nashville Mission Choir, and we did our second devotional in Bowling Green two days ago. Our mission president encouraged each of us to go and talk to people and see how many people would like a free copy of the Book of Mormon or a free DVD about Jesus Christ either for themselves or a friend. My companion Sister J. has stayed with other missionaries in the area to do some missionary work here, while I left with another group. When the devotional was over, I was scared. In the area where I serve, we aren't allowed by the law to talk to people standing outside or to knock on a stranger's door. All of the people we go to see we most often know the names of, or at least know the name of someone living in the home. The first time I introduced myself to someone it was bad. Awkward. I had good intentions! But I lacked the faith and courage in what I have been called to do, and I stumbled on my words. Then I started talking to someone else! Chris has such a strong faith in God, and I along with a few other missionaries were able to talk with him, and the missionaries in his area are going to visit him this week! How great is that? 

 The reason why I desire the courage and faith to share and teach the gospel is because I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints can strengthen the faith of all of God's children, whether they belong to another denomination or whether they even belong to the LDS church itself. And dear friends, don't we need more good in the world? This musical devotional is already affecting many lives. Just imagine what you could do if you shared a piece of your testimony with someone you know. 

Have an action-packed day!
Sister Franson

No comments:

Post a Comment