Thursday, March 15, 2012

Agency and French Toast

Have you ever wondered... how do bad things happen? Or maybe even why? Well, dear friends, it is one simple word, one simple idea, and yet plays a HUGE role in Heavenly Father's plan. I've mentioned this idea before, and it's been on my mind again today. Well, here is why!

Agency. 

It's the ability that we have to choose. Isn't that wonderful? And the greatest part, everyone else has it too! So, here's how it works:

 Say for instance I get up in the morning and I get ready and my wonderful companion decides to make french toast for both of us. I have agency so I can 
  1) Thank her and enjoy some fabulous french toast made by a genuine Alaskan!
  2) Get mad at my companion for not making pancakes instead
  3) Not eat the french toast (in which case I would be crazy) and have a bowl of wheaties instead
  4) Not say a word to my companion and hoard ALL of the french toast
  5) Take the french toast, drizzle it in syrup and powdered sugar, and throw it in my companion's face. 
  6) Do... something else. 

 Well... these are all possibilities right? And I can choose to do any one of them, or any combination. That is my gift and my freedom to choose. Sounds like so much fun, right?

 For a moment, let's think of Sister Jasper's side of the spectrum. What if I were to choose #5? Is that Sister Jasper's fault? Did God make that happen to Sister Jasper? Do you think that Sister Jasper would expect her companion to do something like that? Of course not! Because God has given each of us agency, I chose to use it unwisely. 

Then we get to consequences. For example, if I chose option #2, I would feel icky inside because I know that is not the kind thing to do. That is a natural consequence. In addition to that, Sister Jasper can use her agency right back at me and punch me in the face. Again, that's not God's fault, but He won't take away Sister Jasper's agency to do so back to me.

Dear friends, agency is not limited to breakfast. Agency is in everything we do. Every choice has a consequence, good or bad. Every person has his agency, to use for good or bad. So, when you have a bad day, don't blame God, don't even blame the other person, but use your agency and choose to do good. Choose to make it exciting! Choose to have a positive attitude! When that man in the red truck rear ends you in the parking lot, choose to forgive, and hand him a pass-along card about Jesus! How much more exciting and wonderful would that make the world? Do not be afraid to be creative!

Use your agency to have an action-packed day! And post about your experiences!
-Sister Franson

No comments:

Post a Comment