Thursday, March 29, 2012

Flashback #1

Here we are! This comes from last summer, July I think, when I was a brand new missionary working in Nashville, Tennessee.

Isn't it interesting that when the Lord wants us to learn something, a lot of that something is placed in our path? Lately, repentance has been my favorite thing. It's so wonderful! I'm kind of sad that it has a less than desirable reputation. Usually repentance means you have committed a sin, done something wrong, etc., and need to fix it. It's true; repentance can mean fixing something like that, but there is so much more! This strange fixation of mine has been in the works for a very long time. Last week it all came to a changing point, a climax if you will, at district meeting. I don't know if the elder who put this together realizes that not only did this change my mission, but it is changing my life. Now, I may have to go on what seems like a few tangents, but it all comes back to this, I promise.

    Confession: There are some things that I do not like about myself. It's true. I think that as human beings we all have those things. For me it's not gray hair or a crooked nose or freckles, but things about my personality. The irony is that I don't like that I don't like my personality! So I've been stuck in a self made vicious cycle, having no direction because I don't know where I want to be. I'm not wishing to be someone else, I'm just striving to be the someone that I know can be better, but who is that?

    Last week's district meeting helped to answer that question. It was the lesson I touched on in my post about Goober. Part of the lesson taught was on being grateful for what we had instead of waiting for it to be taken away to be grateful. There was a scripture illustrating this concept with humility. I can't remember all that was said, but I do remember that I could feel the Spirit more strongly than I have in a long time. I love how the Spirit can teach individuals more in an instant than man can in a lifetime. It impressed in my mind, "Sister Franson, you can change. You are a divine daughter of God. Your goal is to live up to that title and your calling as a missionary. Trust the Lord to guide you and trust yourself to follow, and then you will be who you want to become."

  
Phew! I just read through that! I remember not posting this one because of so many insecurities that I felt and had. But this lesson is one that I have taken with me wherever I have served. Because of the atonement of Jesus Christ, we CAN change! If we are unhappy, we can be filled with joy again through the gospel of Jesus Christ.

So, dear friends, today I invite you to change.

"Each new day that dawns can be a new day for us to begin to change. We can change our environment. We can change our lives by substituting new habits for old. We can mold our character and future by purer thoughts and nobler actions." -James E. Faust

Have an action-packed day!
Sister Franson

No comments:

Post a Comment