Thursday, March 8, 2012

Who is Invited?

So I haven't had the greatest week. All at the same time, I have had a FANTASTIC week! I love how much I am learning, how much my mind is expanding. And, lately, I was thinking about a personal experience that I had about a year or two ago. Quite honestly, I am really sad about my behavior towards the situation. 

 When I moved away to school, I found some great friends. People that I wanted to be friends with! They had super high gospel standards and I was motivated to be the same. That was one of the happiest times that I remember having- that particular summer spending good time with those particular friends. I was becoming someone I knew that my parents and the Savior would be proud of. 

Then there was a time that I moved home from school. Of course, at home I had friends and people that I cared about there too. Then these people started making fun of me and telling me that I was being ridiculous for attempting to uphold the standards, attitudes, and likes that I had in college. They were good people, don't get me wrong, I just felt silly or almost preachy when I stood up for those good things. I remember some movies in particular that they would talk about that made me uncomfortable. In a sense, I felt like they mocked the things of God. They also would use language and words that I didn't really like and I normally wouldn't say, and when I asked them to stop, they got upset and told me that I needed to accept them for saying and liking those things. I still loved them and cared about them, I just wished that they wouldn't be part of those things that were not wholesome and good. 

Sad to say, I didn't want to fight it anymore. I wanted to fit in and not be made fun of for being good, so I wouldn't say anything when we watched a crude movie. I started using that language that I normally wouldn't and didn't like to say. I even started to enjoy being part of this crowd. Still though, every time a moment like that happened, I knew it was wrong, but quickly found a way to justify my actions, or in some cases lack of action. And I was quickly finding myself miserable. 

In many ways, my mission has been good for me to be constantly surrounded by positive people and influences. I have also been able to see people that are in the same situation that I was- doing things that wouldn't necessarily keep me out of the temple, but things that were not in line with the things of God. I look at how I felt then and how I feel now. I have made a goal that I will not lose these good habits and standards that I am establishing in my life on my mission! 

So, dear friends, when is it ever okay to use foul language and words? When is it ever okay to toe the line and watch shows and movies that do not invite the Spirit? Who and what are you inviting when you do those things?

Just a thought. Post your comments!

Have an action-packed day!
-Sister Franson

1 comment: