Tuesday, August 16, 2011

ALWAYS Testify.

Sometimes... sister missionaries don't know what to title their blog posts. Hmm. Well, last time, I was inspired by Kylie's awesome testimony so it is called Always Testify. Nice enough, right?

This post will shares the name for a purpose.

Last night was one of the most frustrating moments I have ever had on my mission. Sister Valentine encountered a man who was unteachable, and not very kind about it either. Sure, Sister Valentine and I are young ladies and we haven't experienced all that the world has to offer yet, but it doesn't mean that we don't know what we are talking about when we share the gospel. Does it mean we are perfect? Absolutely not. I was so frustrated with this man because he refused to call me Sister Franson, because "that is not [my] name." He also proceeded to inform Sister Valentine and I that the elders were neither entitled nor qualified to be called elders. Then he continued to say that the Book of Mormon is completely false, that our method of teaching is contradictory to the Bible, and then told us that we needed to look up some anti-mormon literature so we could see the truth of what we think we are teaching people. Among other things, he told us that no one has the authority or capability of sharing testimony of Jesus Christ besides the twelve apostles He called. When Sister Valentine and I would try to say something or state a simple doctrinal truth, he would have nothing of it, and when we answered his questions, nothing we could say was right.

Now, as a missionary, that is hard. We are instructed to always leave a person or place with the best possible impression of missionaries and the LDS church. When someone tells us these things and tries to tear down our testimony and drive the Spirit away, we are advised to leave as soon as we tactfully can. We have the capability of showing men the evidence of the truthfullness of the Book of Mormon by the book itself and also by prophecy in the Bible. We have the capability (and the evangelical authority) to call this man to repentance (without being judgemental, which is difficult and not often done in such a setting). However, doing these things cannot and will not change a hardened heart. To such a person, it will simply be made a mockery of.

I felt a miriad of emotions during and soon after we left. As the man told me all of the lies he did, the Spirit testified to me that the Book of Mormon is true, that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is God's true church restored to the earth through the prophet Joseph Smith.

The thing that ate at me the most is that he looked me in the eye and told me that my testimony of Jesus Christ and His church is worthless. Brothers and sisters, this is one of the greatest lies I have ever had spat in my face. I have not seen the Savior in this life. I have never met Joseph Smith. I am not a physical witness to his first vision in Palmyra, New York. I have never seen a Nephite-Lamanite battle.

I don't know if I was at the garden of Gethsemane or at the cross when my Savior died. I can't remember any of that before I was born on this earth.

But my dear friends, I know. I KNOW that my Redeemer lives. No one can take that witness away from me.

"And now, as pertaining to this perfect Atonement, wrought by the shedding of the blood of God—I testify that it took place in Gethsemane and at Golgotha, and as pertaining to Jesus Christ, I testify that He is the Son of the living God and was crucified for the sins of the world. He is our Lord, our God, and our King. This I know of myself, independent of any other person.

I am one of His witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks in His hands and in His feet and shall wet His feet with my tears.

But I shall not know any better then than I know now that He is God’s Almighty Son, that He is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through His atoning blood and in no other way.

God grant that all of us may walk in the light, as God our Father is in the light, so that, according to the promises, the blood of Jesus Christ, His Son, will cleanse us from all sin."

~Bruce R. McConkie

My dear friends, have a testimony-packed day.

Sister Franson.

1 comment:

  1. I love Elder McConkie's testimony. It gets me teary-eyed every time I read it. I am sorry you had such a horrible experience, but I am impressed with your testimony and fortitude. So proud to be related to you and to be a fellow sister in the true gospel of Jesus Christ!

    ReplyDelete