Saturday, August 27, 2011

Missionary? Facebook? WHAT?

Originally posted August 27, 2011.  Updated June 29, 2012.

Dear family and friends, this is Sister Franson. As some of you may know, I have the unique opportunity to be working online as a missionary, and it includes using facebook and blogging. It's a wonderful opportunity and it is a great tool to keep in contact with those we teach and also for finding other people who are willing to listen to what we have to share.

  I recently found out that we have been asked to deactivate our normal home facebook accounts (temporarily- until we finish serving our missions) because those we find and teach may get the wrong impression about our purpose as messengers of Jesus Christ. Not that I was a hooligan before, but missionaries have a higher standard of obedience and conduct.

So, yes. I am a missionary on facebook. Though we be few, we do exist. And to top it all off, I am a SISTER missionary. Yes, it's true! We are like toothfairies- you hear about us all the time, but do you ever see us? Only if you are quick! And Lucky!

Being an online missionary is NOT something I expected when I was turning in my information to serve a mission. I have SO many questions about it, and lately, as more people find out about it, many of my friends and family do too. Here's a brief overview of rules for friends and family back home of any faith:

   - I can be facebook friends with anyone I know. This includes friends and family from back home, except "significant others", and as far as I know I don't have one of those. Please don't be afraid to! (see final point-- keep reading!)
   -Anyone can like or post any comment on my wall that is missionary or gospel related. Please do! I'd love to hear about a church quote you like or a Mormon Message video or something great you found in the scriptures or church magazines! Feel free to share things like that! Just be encouraging and uplifting.
   -Instant chatting and facebook messaging is only for the people that I serve here in the Tennessee Nashville Mission. If you have a friend whom you think would be more receptive to the LDS church online, your best option is to go to www.mormon.org, and they have the option to chat with someone online right then. If you want it to be more personal, refer them to me as a friend to my missionary facebook account at facebook.com/sisterkfranson Then you can write me a letter and tell me all about it, or post your experience on my wall! Remember to stay positive and gospel-focused.
  -If I, or anyone on the facebook missionary team here in the Tennessee Nashville Mission sees anything- posts, tags, or otherwise- that is not geared towards my purpose as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I may be asked to remove myself from facebook entirely or I may have to block your friendship, which I don't want to do. I don't anticipate any problems, but that's the rules.
  -Last, but not least, BE INVOLVED! That's to you. There are miracles that happen when we share our testimonies about the Savior, Jesus Christ.

   If you do want to communicate on a friend-based level, feel free to write me a letter! You can get my mission address from my mom. (She's on facebook too).

   Friend networking is great. Many of the church leaders have stated that the internet was invented for the use of sharing the gospel. Maybe one post of one scripture might show up on someone's news feed and brighten their day. Maybe one note about prayer can help someone remember that they are loved and have someone to turn to in a time of need. So, dear friends,

 "Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord..." (2 Timothy 1:8)

Have an action-packed day!

Sister Franson

No comments:

Post a Comment