Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Who You Are

"[H]ow can we truly understand who we are unless we know who we were and what we have the power to become?"  -Elder Neal A. Maxwell

Scotty! Yes, he's just that great. Scott is the brother-in-law. When he married my sister I had seen him only a small number of times before. He seemed nice and normal enough.

Nice, yes. Normal... well, who is normal anyway?




Scott is very good at dressing up. In fact, he has won several costume contests at his work on Halloween. It goes all the way from old lady to gorilla masks to... whoever this is. Scott gets along well with people because he is so funny!

The reason why I love Scott so much- no matter who he pretends to be to make us laugh, when it comes down to it all, he is simply Scott. He is not afraid to be who he is, and he encourages others to be exactly who they are. I remember once when I was having a rough time in my life, Scott sent me a letter. He called me his "little sister". Because Scott and Brittany married in the temple, Scott is as much my brother as Brittany is my sister. He reminded me that I belonged to a family. 

 The more important thing though, that Scott reminded me of, is that I am a child of God. So many people forget that we are of noble birth. Forgetting such is exactly what the adversary wants us to believe. When we understand that we truly are children of our Heavenly Father, we begin to act accordingly, using good language, engaging in wholesome work and activity. The most important thing though, is that we can realize that we have the ability to turn to Him in any instance to receive guidance. We can also come to know Him, and when we know our Father like He knows us, He can teach us so much more about who we can become.


 

But only you can determine your future.

No comments:

Post a Comment